Zhytomyr is a city in the northwest part of Ukraine, the administrative centre of the Zhytomyr Oblast and Zhytomyr region. It is located about 130 km to the west from Kiev and is the home to 270,000 people.
Generation of thermal energy, heat, hot and cold water supplied to citizens, businesses, organizations and institutions is provided by “Zhytomyrteplokomunenerho”. The company operates boiler houses with a total installed thermal capacity of 725 Gcal/h.
Zhytomyr Demonstration Project – overview
The proposed project concerns the modernisation of the whole heating system around the boiler house at Dombrowski Street 30. Aside the installation of new boilers, the project includes the installation of individual heating stations in five residential buildings on Dombrowski and Sikorskogo streets. These IHSs will be for heating only, since all the buildings have their own gas fired boilers for the production of domestic hot water.
Connected to the system is also a day care centre in Voikova Street 32, where another IHS will be installed for heating. The day care centre also receives domestic hot water from the boiler house at Dombrowski street, which has to be in operation on the non-heating season only for this production. To avoid this, the project includes the installation of a heat pump for domestic hot water production. The replacement of all piping for connection to the IHS is also included in the project.
Zhytomyr Demonstration Project – details
The project area includes five residential building blocks and a day care centre.
Specifics of the Zhytomyr project include:
- Individual Heat Substations – Introduction of 6 IHSs at five residential buildings.
- Network replacement – Approx. 800m heat distribution pipelines in the area.
- Installation of two condensing gas boilers (2×0.7MW).
- Installation of a heat pump (1x30KW) for production of domestic hot water.
The investment amounts to EUR 565,000 with a simple pay-back time of 4.7 years. The proposed financing plan is as follows:
- Total loan – EUR 235,000 (42%)
- Total grant – EUR 235,000 (42%)
- Total Zhytomyr local contribution – EUR 95,000 (16%)
The project benefits the local community by:
- Saving 1,800 MWh heat per year (42% saving from the baseline*)
- Saving 190,000 m³ gas per year (42% saving from the baseline*)
- Saving 13 MWh electricity per year (20% saving from the baseline*)
- Saving 365 tonnes CO2 per year (42% saving from the baseline*)
*Baseline is estimated for the networks in question only (not the entirety of the district heating in Zhytomyr) for the case of no-project activity.
The project in Zhytomyr demonstrates best practices in technical design, procurement and project implementation in a small-scale project providing valuable experience and knowhow for the bigger projects to come for rehabilitation of the district heating systems in Zhytomyr. The combination of efforts for the introduction of a demand driven heating system, the reduction of losses and the improvement of production efficiency is expected to bring savings in the order of 40 % and improved services to the just over 600 residents in connected buildings and of the kindergarten with 80 children.
The project was completed in spring 2015.
As a result of competitive procurement, the following suppliers were selected:
- Boiler House Rehabilitation – “Komenergoservice” LLC, Ukraine
- District heating pipelines – “Komenergoservice” LLC, Ukraine
- Individual Heating Substations – “Ukrinterm” LLC, Ukraine
All goods were procured, installed and successfully commissioned.
Photo credit: Daryna Vdovenko