Mykolaiv

Three different sub-projects at three different locations in the city

Location: Three different locations in Mykolaiv
Programme: DemoUkrainaDH
Project status: Pre-implementation
Investment: 960,000 EUR
Payback period: 5.4 years
Reduced gas consumption: 1,270,000 m³/year
Reduced

 CO

emissions:
2,460 tonnes/year

Mykolaiv is the administrative centre of the Mykolaiv Oblast and it is located almost 500 km to the south of the capital of Ukraine. Mykolaiv has an area of 260 km2 and is the home to 500,000 people.

In Mykolaiv, about 40% of the district heating customers are connected to the CHP plant while the remaining 60% are connected to the various networks supplied by the boiler houses owned by the district heating company “MC MykolaivOblTeploEnergo”, which is a fully municipally owned company. There is no domestic hot water supplied from the district heating systems in the city.

Mykolaiv Demonstration Project – overview

The proposed project concerns three different sub-projects at three different locations in the city of Mykolaiv. Two of the locations (sub-project 1NW and 1SE) are in close vicinity of each other and include disconnection of two districts from the system supplied from the CHP plant, thus taking almost 3 km of DN500 pipe in bad condition out of operation. Instead, one of the two districts will be connected to a district heating system supplied from a boiler house owned by the municipal district heating company and the other will be supplied from a new biomass boiler. The third sub-project (sub-project 4) implies taking a local boiler house located in the basement of a residential building out of operation and connecting the district to the system supplied by the CHP.

The projects proposed by the company are interesting from a demonstration point of view:

  • For the sub-project 1NW, the primary reason is that the investment covers a substantial modernisation of the system, from biomass boiler to pipelines and IHS. The introduction of biomass in combination with decreased thermal losses and higher efficiency will reduce the use of fossil fuels and, besides, the system will be converted to a fully demand driven system.
  • The sub-project 1SE and the sub-project 4 imply the centralisation and expansion of district heating system. Installation of IHS will improve the energy efficiency and the quality of supply.

In general, the proposed project will decrease the use of natural gas. By introducing the IHSs, systems are also converted towards more sustainable demand driven systems which enable for future energy efficiency measures on customer level.

Mykolaiv Demonstration Project – details

The area of two sub-projects is situated in the Inhulskyi district, in the eastern part of Mykolaiv, while the area of the third sub-project is situated in the Zavods’kyi district, in the western part of the city.

Figure 1: Map of Mykolaiv with indication of the Project area

Specifics of the Mykolaiv sub-project 1SE include:

  1. Individual Heat Substations – Introduction of 13 IHSs.
  2. Take 1,200 metres of DN500 district heating pipes out of operation.
  3. Disconnection of the district from the network of Mykolaiv thermal power station (Mykolaivskya teploelectrocentral, CHP).
  4. Connection of the district to the network of MC Mykolaivoblteploenergo (Boiler House 135).

Specifics of the Mykolaiv sub-project 1NW include:

  1. Installation of a biomass base-load boiler (1×1.5MW) and 2 gas peak-load boilers (2×1.5MW).
  2. Individual Heat Substations – Introduction of 10 IHSs.
  3. Take 750 metres of DN500 pipes out of operation
  4. Disconnection of the district from the system supplied from the CHP
  5. Network replacement – 1,215m district heating pipes

Specifics of the Mykolaiv sub-project 4 include:

  1. Individual Heat Substations – Introduction of 10 IHSs.
  2. Close down of 1 boiler house (Tsentralnya 22a).
  3. Connection of the district to the system supplied from the CHP.

The proposed investment is EUR 960,000 with a simple pay-back time of 5.4 years. The proposed financing plan is as follows:

  • Total loan – EUR 500,000 (52%)
  • Total grant – EUR 300,000 (31%)
  • Total Mykolaiv local contribution – EUR 160,000 (17%)

Once implemented, the project is expected to benefit the local community by:

  • Saving 5,970 MWh heat per year (27% saving from the baseline*)
  • Saving 1,270,000 m³ gas per year (54% saving from the baseline*)
  • Saving 3,140 m³ water per year
  • Saving 2,460 tonnes CO2 per year (54% saving from the baseline*)

*Baseline is estimated for the networks in question only (not the entirety of the district heating in Mykolaiv) for the case of no-project activity.

Current status

The project is currently in the stage of receiving all the necessary approvals in preparation for its implementation. Please subscribe for our newsletter to be sure not to miss news about project development such as invitations for tenders.

 

Photo credit: Georgiy Dolgopskyi