Ivano-Frankivsk is a city located in the western part of Ukraine. It is the administrative centre of the Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast. It is home to 240 000 people.
State Municipal Enterprise “Ivano-FrankivskTeploKomunEnergo” is the district heating supplier in the city. It owns 36 boiler houses with total installed thermal capacity of 585 Gcal/h, 32 central heating substations and 132 km of heat networks. The company operates 42 different district heating networks. There are 4 boiler houses interconnected into one network while all other boiler houses are operated as separate networks.
Ivano-Frankivsk Demonstration Project – overview
The project concerns the micro-district Dovga-Karpatska where two boiler houses are interconnected by a district heating pipeline. The project implies closing down the boiler house at 15 Karpatska street and allow the boiler house at 68 Dovga street supply heat to the entirety of the interconnected district heating area. Besides, the project implied installation of individual heating substations (IHS) at all buildings with the purpose to introduce a demand driven district heating system in the area, as well as improve efficiency and enhance the service level of district heating supply.
Ivano-Frankivsk Demonstration Project – details
Specifics of the Ivano-Frankivsk project include:
- Closing down the boiler house at 15 Karpatska street and connection of the heat load to the boiler house at 68 Dovga street.
- Interconnecting district heating pipeline – Approx. 250m
- Individual Heat Substations – installation of 39 IHSs.
- Equip existing distribution pumps with frequency converters.
- Installation of SCADA system for collection and presentation of operation and consumption data for each IHS.
The investment is EUR 832,000 with a simple pay-back time of 3.4 years. The financing plan is as follows:
- Total loan – EUR 400 000 (48%)
- Total grant – EUR 300 000 (36%)
- Total Ivano-Frankivsk local contribution – EUR 132 000 (16%)
The project benefits the local community by:
- Saving 9 000 MWh heat per year (32% saving from the baseline*)
- Saving 970 000 m3 gas per year (30% saving from the baseline*)
- Saving 220 MWh electricity per year (50% saving from the baseline*)
- Saving 1 420 tonnes CO2 per year (25% saving from the baseline*)
*Baseline is estimated for the networks in question only (not the entirety of the district heating in Ivano-Frankivsk) for the case of no-project activity.
The project in Ivano-Frankivsk demonstrates best practices in technical design, procurement and project implementation in a small-scale project. By installing individual heating substations throughout the whole area, the district heating system is fully demand driven and the district heating service level could be increased significantly.
After completion of another project financed by EBRD, The SCADA-system enables combined operation with another district heating system that have been modernised in a project financed by EBRD which is a remarkable demonstration effect within the framework of DemoUkrainaDH.
The project was completed in 2016. As a result of competitive procurement, the following suppliers were selected:
- Individual Heating Substations, SCADA – Axis Industries JSC, Lithuania
- Pumps and Frequency Converters – LLC “OPAL”, Ukraine
DH pipelines were installed by the district heating company in-house. All goods were procured, installed and successfully commissioned.
Photo credit: Vitalii Bashkatov